There are many factors to consider in understanding where a pain in your ankle comes from.
Triggered or worsened by an injury, here are some of the most common causes of ankle pain:
1. Broken ankle/broken foot – also known as a fracture, the breaking of one or more bones
2. Bruise – when a blood vessel near your skin’s surface ruptures
3. Sprains and strains – the stretching or tearing of ligaments
4. Achilles tendinitis – an overuse of the Achilles tendon, the band of tissue that connects the calf muscle to the back of the lower leg to your heel bone
5. Achilles tendon rupture – if you overstretch your Achilles tendon, you may hear a pop or snap and sense an immediate sharp pain
If you are experiencing any ankle pain, please see your specialist.